Underwater Pumpkin Carving Distinctive Specialty
Time & Location
About the Event
Pumpkin carving has been a tradition for many years during the fall and Halloween months. Pumpkins have been grown in North America for five thousand years and are indigenous to the Western Hemisphere. The carving of gourds originated in Ireland hundreds of years ago, but on turnips or potatoes. Once the Irish discovered pumpkins in the United States, the Jack-O-Lantern was born! We are taking it one step further and adding the challenge of carving our pumpkins underwater! This is a Distinctive Specialty taught by our very own Karen Erickson.
Course Starts at 2 pm:
We will have a short class beginning at 2 pm at Windy Point. Then using your new-found knowledge, we will dive and carve your pumpkins. You may enter this pumpkin in the contest or carve another.
What to bring:
- All diving equipment (including tanks)
- Pumpkin to carve
- Carving tools to remove the top of the pumpkin.
- Carving tools to carve your design. (could be same as above)
- Most carving tools are small, so be sure to attach them on a string!
- Extra weight to make your pumpkin neutrally buoyant. (small increments recommended – 6 to 8 lbs)
- Mesh bag to hold pumpkin and pumpkin guts. (guts and cut out pieces will float!)
- Etching tool to shave shallow detail into the pumpkin exterior.
- Slate ( pre-drawn desired design ).
- Extra props to add to your pumpkin on the surface
- A means of lighting up your pumpkin underwater ( small dive light, caylume ( glow sticks), strobe, etc.).
Cost includes a tank & weights, (50% off additional rental equipment) and Pumpkin can be entered in competition that follows for free.
Note: entrance fee to Windy Point is not included Halloween costumes are encouraged but must be suitable for wearing beneath dive gear. Costume should not obstruct vision or limb movement, nor hamper access to dive gear. It must not present an entanglement hazard.
- U/W Pumpkin Carving Specialty$75$750$0